Hooray!!!!!!! Schools are closed. Businesses aren’t opening either. Snow storms have already passed through or are on their way. You find yourself with an entire “extra day” to do with as you please, yet you aren’t quite sure what to do.
Well computer fans, you are in luck. Here is a little list to get you going on this FREEzing Friday.
1. Follow-Up on Those Christmas Gifts
You know all those great electronic gadgets you got for Christmas. Maybe it was an iPod, iPad, Laptop, PS3, XBOX or some other expensive tech-toy. You’ve been telling yourself that you need to buy a case, a screen protector or even a warranty. Well today is a perfect day to research, make a decision and order up. We’ve got a few suggestions on just how to go about this in our Guide to Gift Protection, but here are a few of the highlights to get you started:
- Get a screen cover and a case to protect from scratches and drops
- Secure your device with a passcode (usually available in the devices settings)
- Get a warranty that covers the items from accidents – online warranties are cheaper and cover more than traditional warranties
2. Get Organized
This is one of things that I constantly swear I will do when I have the time. If you’re like me, you have a hundred organization projects on your to-do list and now you just have to figure out where to start. Here are a few resources for your various bits of clutter:
- Your laptop/work bag is a disaster. Get organized with a new bag and grid system from Cocoon Innovations.
- Take all those photographs you’ve been saving to your hard drive and back them up online. You’ll reduce your risk of losing them and make them easily sharable.
- Round up your movie collection and get it organized so you can find what you are looking for. Check out our article – Manage Your Growing Disc Collection – Tools and Tricks
3. Get Rid of Cable
Ditching cable is not a one day project, but this snow day would be a great day to start your research and figure out what to do next. Whether you have been shackled to Comcast, DirecTV or Dish TV and their $100+ monthly bill, we’ve got the how-to on freeing yourself and lowering your monthly bill. Anyone can do it and you’ll soon see that money isn’t the only reason to switch.
We’ve got all the details you’ll need in a multi-part blog post that starts with Cancel Your Cable/Satellite and Save Money While Adding Functionality.
4. Speed up That Slow Computer
You’ve been threatening to do something about that slow computer for months, maybe even years. You’ve thought about calling someone to do it for you, but who and how much is that gonna cost. Don’t worry, just do it yourself. It is not difficult and you can save $100 or more by doing it yourself. To help you out, we’ve written a how-to article titled My Computer is Running Slow – Help Me Fix It. The article is FREE, the tools are FREE and you’ve got a FREE day to work on it. What do you have to lose?
5. Have Some Fun
It’s not like you needed someone to tell you this, but how about some new ideas. Instead of simply firing up the same old XBOX game or returning to your virtual farm on Facebook, try investigating some new games and experiences using your computer, smartphone or tablet. You’ll never know what you’ve been missing out on unless you take a chance.
Here are some Addictive Games You Can Play in 5 Minutes or Under. But don’t stop there. One of my favorite ways to see what’s new and exciting is to look on Facebook and see what my friends are playing. You’ll know when you see high scores and achievements popping up between baby pictures and crazy videos.